Sunday, November 2, 2008

Silent was the Night

My latest Villanelle. I thought I'd give you something to look over since I'm supposed to discuss this form of writing when next we meet--I think. So I wrote this.


Suddenly so soft, so silent was the night.
An abrupt and final ending to a harsh and bitter row.
Never will she turn her face toward the light.

What began with utter happiness, at last her future bright,
Unexpectedly to her became a haunting tale of woe
Suddenly. So soft, so silent was the night.

His words held every kindness, manners proper, deeds polite.
In no way could she dream the man would turn to greatest foe.
Never will she turn her face toward the light.

Not a soul to notice in her eyes the perilous plight.
Her silver voice extinguished by his presence ‘ere she go.
Suddenly, so soft, so silent was the night.

In the end her strength was beaten by his evil, pressing might.
Not allowed to disobey, she dared to tell him no.
Never will she turn her face toward the light.

Now she lies so still, eyes open without sight.
Her body slight adheres to the bloodstained rocks below.
Suddenly so soft. So silent was the night.
Never again to turn her face toward the light.

3 comments:

K-Ry said...

Excellently evil!!! I love the silence, the death, the blood, the foe. I want more violence! But that's just me...that's just how I roll...

I loved it! You are a villanelle master!

Rachel said...

This is beautiful- So gothic!
Are you OK?

anniebanana@hotmail.com said...

What can I say that hasn't already been posted by Rachel and K-ry? Silver and dark. Love the edgy, I so need to go there. I want to learn about this style. Can't wait.